Hi everyone. I have had something bothering me for a while now and thought I would just get it out there. There has been so many arguments over guns and gun laws because of all the shootings and crimes involving guns people think guns should be banned altogether. So, here it goes. Guns don’t kill anymore than knives, cars, etc. People kill. People cause accidents. With that said, do people need to be smart when it comes to guns. ABSOLUTELY! Just like operating a car or owning a firearm, people need to practice gun safety and be responsible.
Below I have listed some Gun Safety Rules:
- ALWAYS keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. Assume ALL guns are loaded.
- ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Know your target and what is beyond.
- Know how to operate your gun safely.
- Make sure the gun is safe to operate.
- Use correct ammunition for your gun
- Never operate a firearm when under the influence of alcohol, over-the-counter drugs, or prescription drugs.
- Store guns so they are not accessible to children or unauthorized individuals. Use safety locks designed for firearms.
- Know how to clean your gun correctly.
The rest of what I am going to say is my opinion and you can agree or disagree. Gun safety doesn’t stop here. The fact is there will always be crimes and shootings involving guns. Banning guns isn’t going to stop the problem. However, we as individuals can help prevent horrible things from happening.
If you have guns in your home, teach your kids. Don’t keep them a mystery. Be honest and straight forward with them. Do your research on how best to talk to your kids about firearms. Talk to your spouse or significant other so you both are on the same page when it comes to talking to your kids about firearms. Most important, keep them locked up.
Lastly, know your kids and LISTEN to them. If your child is feeling suicidal or frustrated with something, listen to them and get them help if needed. Take you kids seriously. There are resources in your community that can help. Doctors, social workers, and school counselors can assist you in finding help for your child.
Gun safety starts with each one of us. My hope, if anything, this post gets people thinking and talking about how we can stay safe knowing that guns are in our society and in our homes.
Stay safe out there and God Bless!
For more information go to: